Photo by Joseph Rheaume
The Alternative Processes Workshop with Joseph Rheaume (Two sessions)
- December 7, 2019
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- December 8, 2019
10:00 am - 6:00 pm
In this unique, hands-on workshop we will experience the beauty and joy of interpreting our images through 19th century photographic printing processes of Cyanotype, Salted Paper and Platinum & Palladium.
Students will learn the techniques and gain the skills needed to make enlarged digital negatives from digital files for each alt-process, coat the alt-process solutions onto fine art papers used for each process, and gain valuable experience working with each of the alt-processes. This one and a half-day hands-on workshop will also introduce participants to some of the oldest photographic processes. Participants will gain the skills required to create prints on their own including making enlarged digital negatives.
A brief historical and technical discussion of each process will be presented. The goal is to provide each participant with an opportunity to experience the subtleties of each process and walk away with 4-6 prints and negatives.
Saturday’s class session will be held at the Los Angeles Center of Photography. Sunday will be held at Santa Monica College. Students should purchase one pack of 20 sheets (8.5 x 11) of Pictorico Premium OHP Transparency Film prior to the workshop for printing digital negatives (about $25-30).
Saturday, December 7: 10am – 2pm @ LACP
2. Overview & History of the Alternative Photographic Processes
3. Making Digital Negatives for Cyanotype, Salted Paper Printing & Platinum Palladium
4. Evaluating Digital Negatives
Sunday, December 8: 10am – 6pm @ Santa Monica College
1. Paper Options
2. Cyanotype Printing Demonstration
3. Cyanotype Lab (coating & printing) 10:30am – 12:00pm
4. Salted Paper Printing Demonstration (Silver Nitrate Coating)
5. Salted Paper Printing Lab (coating & printing) 1:00pm – 3:00pm
6. Platinum / Palladium Printing Demonstration
7. Platinum / Palladium Lab 3:30pm – 5:30pm