Photo by Kevin Weinstein
The Business of Event and Wedding Photography with Kevin Weinstein (One session)
- May 11, 2019
10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Since the economic crash of 2008 the photography market was flooded with people looking to make money on the side especially shooting parties such as weddings and events. Digital cameras and the digital darkroom didn’t scare people away like a wet darkroom of the past. The perception and stigma of photographing weddings changed, and soon those trying to make ends meet collided with the professional photographer already working in the field.
If it is so easy, then why is it that only five percent of photographers make it past year five with their business?
This one-day workshop, taught by professional event photographer Kevin Weinstein, is loaded with info and designed to help you become a successful wedding and event photographer. Kevin will help you think beyond taking pictures and about the responsibilities of working for yourself, delivering a product that keeps clients coming for more, and the challenges ahead and the tools to overcome them. We will spend time in the morning reviewing different styles of wedding and event photography and discuss how the style you choose attracts the client you want to attract. We will look at a variety of photographers and their styles as well as parties Kevin has photographed over the past 17 years.
Each student will:
• Learn to step outside yourself and become the consumer to guide their business model (how you are most comfortable being sold items is most likely the way you will end up selling yourself)
• Discover how to conduct a consultation, how to prepare for the shoot itself, and how to follow-up once the shoot is done.
• Understand different software available to photographers (Photoshop, Capture One, Lightroom, as well as proofing sites to deliver galleries to your client)
• Examine business systems and workflow to create a routine and steer away from error
• Find out how to grow business, build relationships with other vendors, and how to work with troublesome clients
• Gain the knowledge of how to price yourself (pricing yourself on the low-end, mid-tier and high-end luxury market, the pros and cons of each tier)
• Explore avenues for having your work published to increase exposure
• Comprehend the importance (or lack of importance) of social media use and websites (your introduction and living-room)
The most important aspect of running an event photography business is remembering it is all about business, not art. This class will teach you all about that important business element, the hurdles to overcome, and most importantly the confidence to become your own entrepreneur.
Dates: Saturday, May 11, 10 am – 6 pm
Enrollment Limit: 50 students
Skill/Experience Level: Open to all levels.
Venue Phone: (323) 464-0909
Venue Website: https://lacphoto.org/Address: