Photo by Julia Dean
The Los Angeles Street Collective with Julia Dean (Online Learning + On the Street – Six Months)
- February 1, 2021
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- February 20, 2021
- March 6, 2021
- March 15, 2021
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- March 27, 2021
- April 17, 2021
- April 26, 2021
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- May 15, 2021
- June 5, 2021
- June 14, 2021
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Online Learning Class via Zoom + On the Street
(Monday class sessions held online, Saturday shoot sessions on the street)
WHAT IS THE LOS ANGELES STREET COLLECTIVE?
The Los Angeles Street Collective is a collective group of people who are serious about photographing on the streets of LA, rather than a photography class at the Los Angeles Center of Photography. The group is sponsored by LACP and offers several outstanding opportunities for Los Angeles street photographers to show their work.
The idea behind the Los Angeles Street Collective is to give serious Los Angeles street photographers a forum to meet, photograph, show work, and get inspired. If photographers from around the world do a web search on Los Angeles street photography, the Los Angeles Street Collective website will come up. We want to show off the best street photography in LA, therefore we have recently designed a new application process to insure that our group represents those photographers who are seriously dedicated to building their body of work and honing their ways of seeing on the street.
IS THERE A PRE-REQUISITE TO APPLYING TO THE LOS ANGELES STREET COLLECTIVE?
There is no prerequisite, but it is strongly recommended that you take Julia Dean’s six-month “On the Streets,” class and/or Ibarionex Perello’s two-day “Working the Streets” class (at least once) before applying to the Los Angeles Street Collective.
BENEFITS OF BEING A MEMBER OF THE LOS ANGELES STREET COLLECTIVE:
1. The five-month class is only $370 for six shoots and four critiques.
2. Julia always offer more shoots.
3. You are eligible to turn in up to six photos for free in next year’s Street Photography Around the World exhibition competition (Entry fee is $75 for non-members; $37.50 for members).
4. You will have the privilege of displaying two or more images in the annual street photography group show called “On the Streets in LA.” There will be no mandatory exhibition fee for your participation in this exhibit, however you are welcome to donate toward the cost should you choose to do so. (In the past, the fee has been $25.)
5. All STREET WEEK presentations and panel discussions are free. (Entry fee for each presentation: $20 non-members/$10 members)
6. By being a member, LACP will promote your work on the Los Angeles Street Collective website (LACP pays $150 for this website per year.)
7. There will be special guest speakers during group meetings/critiques with the speaking fee being covered by LACP.
8. Los Angeles Street Collective members will have the opportunity to participate in STREET WEEK by sharing their portfolios and books during the presentations and panel discussions.
9. Los Angeles Street Collective members will take part in a pop-up exhibition during STREET WEEK.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS: (due anytime between now and February 1, 2021)
1. The work you submit must meet a certain level of criteria:
a. It must demonstrate the elements that make a strong image such as: Content, Composition, Mood, Moment, Light
b. It must demonstrate sophisticated seeing – Layering, Color, Graphics
c. It cannot be manipulated or set-up, unless it is a street portrait
d. You must spend at least 10 hours per month photographing on the streets, building your body of work
2. Please submit 10 of your street photographs taken in Los Angeles. The date does not matter – but they must have been created in Los Angeles by you. Here is what you must include in your submission email:
a. Your Full Name as you would like it to read on the website
b. 10 images saved as JPGs, each sized at 1200px on the longer side at 72dpi
c. Images should be named as follows in your desired sequencing order:
(First Name)_(Last Name)_01.jpg
(First Name)_(Last Name)_02.jpg
d. Your current Bio – one paragraph long
e. Your Statement about photographing on the street – one paragraph long
f. Your website link
g. Your Instagram link
h. Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
i. Put STREET COLLECTIVE APPLICATION as your Subject Line
3. The work will be reviewed by a small group of accomplished street photographers.
4. Notification will be sent regarding acceptance. You will be asked for a credit card at that time to pay for your membership dues ($370), which will cover the upcoming six-month period.
5. Membership will be up for renewal after every six-month period. You can decide at that time to renew or forfeit. If you renew, you will continue to receive the benefits listed above. If you forfeit, you will be removed from the Los Angeles Street Collective roster and will no longer receive the benefits listed above.
IF YOUR APPLICATION IS NOT ACCEPTED:
If your submission is not accepted into the Los Angeles Street Collective you are welcome to apply again and again until you get in! There is no fee to apply. Submissions will be accepted anytime, but no later than September 5, 2020. If your submission is not accepted for the Street Collective but you have previously taken “On the Streets in LA” with Julia Dean, you will receive a $100 discount to repeat the class. Julia creates new slide lectures for every class, so there is always new visual material about ways of seeing. Many people repeat “On the Streets in LA” at least once, if not more, before moving on to the Los Angeles Street Collective.
A link for the Zoom class meeting will be emailed to the attendees about one week prior to the start date. Please read the instructions included in the email. If you have additional questions please contact Kevin Weinstein or Janis McGavin at email@example.com.