Photo by David Ingraham, taken with an iPhone
The New Photographer: iPhone and Android Street Photography with David Ingraham (One session)
- December 7, 2019
10:00 am - 6:00 pm
With the introduction of the rangefinder camera back in the early twentieth century, a new chapter in the history of photography had begun. Due to the camera’s relatively compact size and quick focusing ability, photographers were able to capture candid shots in the streets in a way that hadn’t been possible before.
Fast forward nearly one hundred years later and the iPhone and Android have taken things to the next level, providing photographers with what could arguably be called “the ultimate street photography camera.” Join photographer David Ingraham on a one-day photographic adventure through the streets of downtown Los Angeles as he shares his personal approach to capturing compelling street imagery using these amazing photographic devices.
David will teach you:
– Essential photographing techniques using your smart phone
– How to seek out and recognize good light
– The importance of seeing compositionally
– How to find “clarity amongst the clutter”
– How to shoot in the streets while going relatively unnoticed
– The importance of knowing when to stay put and when to move on
– And many other tips and techniques of the trade
The class will meet at the Los Angeles Center of Photography for instruction and orientation before embarking on the streets. Students should be prepared to walk considerable distances and bring a good pair of walking shoes. iPhone users are encouraged to download and install the Hipstamatic app. Please bring portable battery backs for your mobile devices. Android users should note that David will be teaching and demonstrating using an iPhone.