Back to All Certificate Programs
Lighting & Portraiture Certificate
This certificate must be completed in-person.
The Lighting & Portraiture Certificate Program focuses on the technical and creative aspects of using artificial and natural light. Students will study flash technology, in-studio strobe equipment, and ambient lighting techniques. For most of the classes, students will have the opportunity to practice with models. The certificate is composed of five required classes and one elective class.
(NOTE: Beginning students in photography should complete the General Course of Study certificate program first before enrolling in the Commercial certificate program.)
Step 1. Complete this one class:
- Introduction to Studio Lighting with Hugh Kretschmer (offered once each semester)
Step 2. Complete these three classes in no particular order.
- Portrait Studio Lighting with Kevin Scanlon (offered once each semester)
- Speedlight Flash: On-Camera and Off-Camera with Jennifer Emery (offered once each semester)
- Natural/Ambient Lighting Techniques with Stella Kalinina (offered once each semester)
Step 3. Complete this one class:
- Introduction to Location Lighting with John Lichtwardt (offered once each semester)
Complete one elective class (NOTE: Elective classes can be taken at any time after completing Step 2 above)
- Hollywood Lighting in the Hurrell Style with Bobbi Lane & Lee Varis (offered once each year)
- Creative Portrait Lighting with Scott Schafer (offered once each year)
(Regular price for required classes and elective class is approximately = $4,300. Tuition includes automatic Individual Level Membership to LACP.)
How do I apply for classes retroactively?
How do I enroll?
What is the refund policy?
How much does it cost?
Who do I contact with questions about this program?